You’ve Got This.
WHAT IS DAUGHTERHOOD?
Daughterhood is a community of people supporting each other in the joys and challenges of caring for aging parents, other family members and friends. This community lives online through the Daughterhood blog and newsletter, podcast, Daughterhood Conversations webinar series, website and social media platforms. But most importantly, it lives in the Daughterhood Circle program, through which caregivers come together to share information, support and resources. Daughterhood circles aim the power of community and friendship directly at the challenges that come with caregiving.
Daughterhood.org’s mission is to support and build confidence in women who are managing their parents’ care. Daughterhood’s founder, Anne Tumlinson, a national expert on health and aging, educates caregivers about our health and elder care systems. She also speaks to policymakers about the challenges caregivers face.
Daughterhood = when we put our lives on hold to take care of our parents.
- Compared to parenthood, daughterhood can be much more isolating with very few people realizing they are in the same boat.
- Caring for the frail and old is complicated. You feel like you need a social work, business, law and medical degree to understand what Is important!
- It’s a matter of dignity and family relationships. This can be both scary and sad. Maintaining your parents’ dignity is of foremost concern. But mix that in with lifelong sibling relationship dynamics, and you have a crazy-making cocktail.
- It is simply too much for one person to do alone. The Daughterhood community and resources will help you realize that your efforts are not only good but are also actually heroic.
- You are not failing. Our health and elder care systems are failing all of us and making caring for your parents’ harder than it should be. This is what Daughterhood.org wants to change.
- Please subscribe to our newsletter to get the blog delivered right to your inbox along with other important information about our community.
You’re not alone! Let’s work together to make daughterhood easier for each other.
Get in touch with Anne, the founder of daughterhood, to share your story and ask questions about your parent’s care.
Read and comment on Anne’s blog. Share your own experiences and challenges in caring for your aging parents.
FROM THE BLOG
What My Dad's Death Taught Me About Dying
Three years ago, my father and I rode horses together for miles and miles of trails at a Florida state […]Read More ›
Navigating Home Care
On August 16th we hosted our 6th Daughterhood conversation on Zoom focused on Navigating Home Care for Your Parents. I […]Read More ›
Navigating Medicare and Medicaid
If you’re caring for someone over the age of 65, chances are that you know something about Medicare, the health insurance program that covers nearly all older Americans. But there’s another really important program that you need to know about: MediCAID.Read More ›
Daughterhood in a Time of COVID: Our History and Our Future
As the first nursing home and assisted living facility residents get their COVID-19 vaccines, I feel like I’m seeing a […]Read More ›